Sunday, August 29, 2010

five year anniversary: katrina stories

Less than a month before Hurricane Katrina hit the New Orleans coast, Cynthia Morrison bought a new house in the city. Five months after the storm, she came back and started rebuilding, along with so many others who have given to the city they love.

"I felt like New Orleans was a person that I had just let go, somebody that I loved, and I felt like I had to come back," said Morrison. "I really felt like I didn't have a choice. I couldn't see myself happy anywhere else." Morrison's whole story here.

This Sunday, the five-year anniversary of Hurricane Katrina in New Orleans, President Obama will travel to the city to give a speech at Xavier University. More about Obama's trip here.

The president will probably see how the city and other areas devastated by the hurricane have been given loving care over these past 5 years, and areas that still haven't changed much. iReporters from CNN have joined in to make a striking account of what storm damaged streets and houses looked like then and now.

No comments:

Post a Comment